≡ Menu

25 Empowering Worry Quotes

One of the most common and destructive daily habits that people get caught up in certainly must be the habit of worrying.

It has been one of my biggest issues. And I know from my inbox that so many struggle with this.

But instead of doing what I usually do and collecting the best habits and tips that have helped me I’d like to do something different today.

I’d like to share 25 of the best, most empowering and inspiring quotes from the past few thousands of years about worrying and what to do about it.

1. “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.”
    – Leo F. Buscaglia
  2. “Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.”
    – Swedish Proverb
  3. “If you want to test your memory, try to recall what you were worrying about one year ago today.”
    – E. Joseph Cossman
  4. ”People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.”
    – George Bernard Shaw
  5. “Our fatigue is often caused not by work, but by worry, frustration and resentment.”
    – Dale Carnegie
  6. “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.”
    – Elbert Hubbard
  7. “If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn’t ask me, I’d still have to say it.”
    – George F. Burns
  8. “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.”
    – Winston Churchill
  9. “Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.”
    – Arthur Somers Roche
  10. “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.”
    – Dean Smith
  11. “When one has too great a dread of what is impending, one feels some relief when the trouble has come.”
    – Joseph Joubert
  12. “That the birds of worry and care fly over your head, this you cannot change, but that they build nests in your hair, this you can prevent.”
    – Chinese Proverb
  13. “Worry compounds the futility of being trapped on a dead-end street. Thinking opens new avenues.”
    – Cullen Hightower
  14. “Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere”
    – Erma Bombeck
  15. “There is a great difference between worry and concern. A worried person sees a problem, and a concerned person solves a problem.”
    – Harold Stephen
  16. “People get so in the habit of worry that if you save them from drowning and put them on a bank to dry in the sun with hot chocolate and muffins they wonder whether they are catching a cold.”
    – John Jay Chapman
  17. “Somehow our devils are never quite what we expect when we meet them face to face.”
    – Nelson DeMille
  18. “The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.”
    – Robert Frost
  19. “Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith.”
    – Henry Ward Beecher
  20. “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.”
    – John Newton
  21. “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.”
    – Dale Carnegie
  22. “I never worry about action, but only about inaction.”
    – Winston Churchill
  23. “Rule number one is, don’t sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it’s all small stuff.”
    – Robert Eliot
  24. “A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work.”
    – John Lubbock
  25. “Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.”
    – Mary Hemingway

What is your favorite quote on worrying and how to overcome it? Feel free to share the best one(s) you have found in this article or in your life in the comments section below.

Image by TheeErin (license).

If You Enjoyed This Article, Get Email Updates (it’s Free)

Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers today and get practical happiness tips and personal development advice in your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Brenda July 20, 2014, 6:19 am

Worrying is one of the greatest time wasters and stealer of peace of mind there is. Most of the things people worry about never happen.

A great article with some fantastic quotes

• Nancy Johnson July 20, 2014, 4:52 pm

Thank you so much for always starting my Sunday off with a positive spin. I love your blog!

• Kelsey Heenan July 20, 2014, 10:52 pm

Inspiring words… Thanks for sharing–these reminders are helpful to have in mind on a daily basis!

-Kelsey

• Craig July 20, 2014, 11:49 pm

Thanks – another light in a dark day. This is good stuff. Cannot stress what love (including self love and appreciation of your efforts), meditation and pray can do to lift you.

• Michael Osborne July 21, 2014, 5:42 pm

Dear Henrik
      Your quotes are like manna. I also feed them to my friends. Your goodness goes on. My favourite is 18. More people worry than work. I also worry over work !which I must cure. Michael

• Sandy July 21, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks for sharing these great quotes! An old favorite of mine is –
    It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there’s nothing you can do about them, and why worry about things you do control? The activity of worrying keeps you immobilized.
    Wayne Dyer

• Kahla July 22, 2014, 9:24 pm

The worst problem for me is worrying at night. Its like a floodgate opens and all the crap from the past and worries about the future come pouring out. And the worrying is totally pointless. It doesn’t fix anything. Doesn’t prepare me or heal me. I’m going to try this. Great Quotes!

• Jenny July 23, 2014, 9:34 pm

As a video gamer, my favorite quote was “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” I think it correctly recognizes that the stress is caused by our sympathetic nervous system that literally thinks that many of our daily encounters are lethal. So being aware that my body’s overreacting helps me prioritize things better.

I’m a new reader, and I’m eager to learn about how to overcome anxiety and self doubt and procrastination.

• Michael Hoppal July 24, 2014, 5:28 am

Dale Carnegie’s quote, about how fatigue is caused by worry, rather than work, pretty much perfectly sums up a lot of my recent decisions. I’m glad that I apparently see eye-to-eye with a particularly influential person!

I’m working on trying to fix things that are stressing me out (that are within my control) and let go of the rest. That’s kind of a complete shift for me, so it’s taking a lot of reminding and practice. Thank you for nudging me.

• Laura July 24, 2014, 10:15 am

Really wonderful quotes. Thank you for compiling this.

• Gulcher July 24, 2014, 8:03 pm

I liked the quote “worry is like rocking chair —-”

• John Chapman July 30, 2014, 10:44 am

“Worrying works – 99.9% of the things I worry about never happen.”

• Craig A. Bowman July 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

And don’t forget this great quote from Gandhi:

“Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Was it worth it?”

• John Wodka July 30, 2014, 11:22 pm

Thank you, Henrik. My fav listed is #5 by Dale Carnegie.
    Matthew wrote nearly 10 verses (Jesus’ words) about not being anxious. It’s Golden.
    “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?…(Matt 6:25 – 34).

• Saad August 5, 2014, 10:27 am

One of my favourite worry quotes is by Vash Young : No man can add one dollar to his bank account by worrying.