Turbulence Training Review (or How I Lost 26 Pounds in 4 Months)

Craig Ballantyne and Bally the Dog

The very best thing I have done  in the area of personal development so far in 2009 is to get into better shape.

I did it with one of the most popular workout programs right now, Craig Ballantyne’s Turbulence Training for Fatloss.

Over the last four months I have used the program and by doing so I have reaped these pretty awesome benefits:

• I have lost 26 pounds. My belly is flat, I have lost quite a bit of body fat and 12 kilograms/26 pounds of weight since I last weighed myself in the very beginning of February (both I and friends/family were a bit shocked at how much I had lost, we were guessing that I maybe had lost half that weight over these months).
  • My day to day energy has gone way up (at least doubled).
  • I am stronger.
  • I am more productive and find it easier than ever to be and stay positive.
  • I may even look younger. One amusing side effect is that I also seem to look younger since I have had to show my driver’s license a few times over the last weeks in places where the age limit was 25 years (I’m 29). Haven’t had to do that in probably over three years.

Me – before and after

Here are a few photos of me. A bit of before and after I suppose.

To the left is a picture of me at a wedding in October 2008 (I couldn’t find an image that was closer to the start of my training, but I looked pretty much that way until February when I started with this program).

To the right is a picture of me from the beginning of May of 2009.

It’s pretty obvious that I was chubbier and just looking wider back then compared to now.

What is Turbulence Training?

Turbulence Training is a program consisting of downloadable e-books, audio and social support through a online forum by fitness trainer and writer Craig Ballantyne. Craig has written for magazines like Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness and Oxygen and been coaching people in Turbulence Training for years. You can see a picture of him and his dog Bally at the start of this review.

In Turbulence Training you combine brief weight lifting workouts focused on compound exercises – movements where you use many muscle groups – with about 4-6 intervals of running, cycling or body weight circuits to burn a lot of fat while maintaining/increasing your muscle mass.

Each workout takes only about 45 intense minutes all in all – this includes warm-ups and a cool down – and you do three of those per week. You shake things up and switch workout programs every fourth week to keep your body guessing – or in turbulence – and this makes it easier to keep losing fat and to avoid plateaus in your progress.

Click here to read my full review of Turbulence Training

Or get your own copy of Turbulence Training right now

There are two versions of Turbulence Training, the basic one and the Deluxe version.

The basic version of Turbulence Training includes these e-books in PDF-format plus other bonuses:

• The Turbulence Training Manual. 128 pages of advice on what to eat, general training and motivational advice and 9 specific workouts laid out for beginners, intermediate and advanced people in simple formats. You can print out your workouts and put a checkmark for every exercise and workout you have completed. This makes it easy to just follow along and track your workouts. A big part of the book are detailed descriptions with photos on how to do each exercise.
  • Two Workouts especially for abs: Amazing Lower Abs & Turbulence Training for Abs.
  • Bonuses for Men: The Busy Dads Workout, Turbulence Training for Mass and the DB-BW Fusion Workout.
  • Bonuses for Women: Fit Yummy Mummy by Holly Rigsby, Mastering the Fat Loss Mindset and Turbulence Training for Women.
  • The 4 Week Bodyweight Workout.
  • The Fusion Fat Loss Program (includes specific instructions for mealplans that Craig uses himself to get really lean).
  • The Nutrition Guide by Dr. Chris Mohr. A short and simple guide on what and how much to eat.
  • Tranformations Secrets. Interviews done with Craig and other fitness experts like Brad Pilon.
  • 30-Day for Maximum Fat Loss Workout.
  • A one hour interview with Craig in mp3 format where he explains what Turbulence Training is and how it works.
  • 1 month forum access. You get access to Craig’s online forum where you can ask questions and get social support from other members. The forums are quite active and Craig is too as he seems to check out most discussions and answers any questions people have.

The Deluxe version of Turbulence Training includes all of the stuff above plus 9 months of workouts in these 5 body weight workout e-books:

• The Turbulence Training 6-Month Bodyweight Manual.
  • The Bodyweight 500 Workout Challenge.
  • The Athletes 8-Week Training Program.
  • The Ultimate Advanced Bodyweight Workout.
  • The Bodyweight 1000 Fat Burning Challenge.

And Craig offers a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee with no questions asked.

So if you want to get in better shape over the summer and for life click here to get the basic version of Turbulence Training + the bonuses.

Or click here to get the Deluxe version with all the extra body weight workouts + all the bonuses.

60 Day Money Back Guarantee with no questions asked.

Note: The links to the Turbulence Training site in the review are affiliate links so I do get a cut from each sale. But I have gone through hundreds of personal development products over the last 6 years and only recommended a handful of them on this website. I would never recommend anything that I don’t find insanely useful.

If you enjoyed this article, then get email updates (it's free)
Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers today and get practical personal development advice in your inbox.

Jenkz June 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

Wow, amazing transformations I must say. Congratulations!

Henrik Edberg June 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Thank you very much!

Chris June 2, 2009 at 1:29 pm

The more bodyweight orientated training is becoming so much more popular. It’s exciting and different and a real challenge. I’ve always maintained the man who can do chin ups and press ups is stronger than the man throwing the big weights around in the gym. Watching the new breed of UFC Mixed Martial Arts fighters train is inspiring. Unbelievable conditioning, the fittest athletes in the world when you take into account that all round fitness should encompass the 5 key points – endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility and you could include co-ordination and balance.
Chris

Henrik Edberg June 2, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Yeah, the bodyweight training is really intense and a challenge. And I really like how you can do it anywhere without much equipment. I guess that is an appealing factor for people and a reason why body weight training is becoming more popular.

Darren July 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Hi Henrik

Congratulations to you (and everyone else who has gained – or rather, lost – on the TT program).

Like Talia_TX I’m pretty frustrated with all the sales blurb, and all I’ve been trying to establish is whether it’s worth getting the deluxe program rather than just the basic version. Even Craig Ballantyne’s own support team can’t tell me in plain English what the key differences are, other than merely listing the extra components! So I thought I’d ask you for your opinion, as you bought the deluxe program.

I keep things simple when it comes to this stuff. My needs are straightforward: lose 50lbs from my current 207lbs so that I can get back to enjoying the 3 or 4 sports I regularly play. I don’t need huge muscle mass, I just need to be lean, to maximise by agility and mobility. Once my target weight is achieved I won’t be aiming to be superman with rippling muscles, as I’ve been a very good sportsman for most of my life with a good underlying physique (i.e. before it got hidden under my current fat!).

Given the amount of fat I need to lose I’m reckoning on 6 months of hard graft to get down to my target weight, if we assume an avg 2lbs-per-week fat loss rate. My worry is that the TT basic version really caters for shorter periods, and my fat loss will start to plateau after around 12 weeks due to the lack of exercise variety (a key TT concept is a rotation of exercise routines every 4 weeks or so). I’m wondering whether the deluxe program will give me that variety over a longer time period.

Opinion please: basic or deluxe?

Thanks a span
Darren

Henrik Edberg July 13, 2009 at 12:07 am

Thanks,

The Deluxe version contains a lot of workouts that you can switch every 4:th week. It’s aimed at people who want to do their workouts with bodyweight exercises like I do.

The Basic version contains 9 workouts that can be switched every 4:th week. They do however start at a beginner level which might be a little too easy for you. But there are still eight 4 week workouts from intermediate to the most advanced workout. There are also bonuses in the basic package that each contain a four week workout.

So if you aren’t that interested in body weight exercises then the Basic package should probably be enough for those six months.

I hope this answer gives you a bit more clarity.

Darren July 13, 2009 at 1:54 am

Many thanks Henrik – that’s good. I’ll get the deluxe I think.

LK June 2, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Hmm, another workout that will magically make me more tan in the process? Awesome!

Henrik Edberg June 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Haha, well at least I’m my old pale self in both my photos.

JDH June 2, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Well done Henrik! Great post!

I have to agree that at home workouts are really great, I used to be a gym rat who never saw any results. I tried P90X, something similar to what you describe here, except its 6 days a week for 90 days. I lost 20 pounds and can actually do pull ups now (I couldn’t even hang from the bar when I started.) Now I will have to try this program :)

Henrik Edberg June 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Thanks! :) That’s awesome, I also find it a lot easier to be consistent with my workouts when I can do them at home. I have heard positive stuff about P90X a whole bunch of times now and it seems to have helped you to get great results too.

talia_tx June 3, 2009 at 12:01 am

Looks like a solid program. And his training contest looks pretty cool too. Nothing like a goal to train towards. Bummer that the cut off was a week ago. But maybe I could win even with only 11 weeks before the due date :)

It kinda ties into a new mantra of mine that landed in my neurons yesterday “What if it’s actually really, really easy?” So when I think it’ll be tough and I’ll never make it 3 months straight training, that my motivation will wane and I’ll fall into old habits…but what if it’s really really easy and I’m just convincing myself it’s hard?

Here’s to taking the “easy” way out. How convenient that I’m meeting up with a friend after work for a swim. So I’ll already be dressed in appropriate skimpy wear and have someone to take my before pics.

Henrik Edberg June 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Thinking that things are really easy is a good tip to get moving, thanks for adding that. I have used it before and it has worked pretty well to make tasks and workouts feel “lighter” and not like such big and difficult things to get done.

Markus Ewald June 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm

For the past 2 years, I’ve been following a program called “Fighter Fitness”, which seems to be the german brother of “Turbulence Training” – at least from your descriptions, both seem quite similar in that they consist mainly of bodyweight exercises and use short high-intensity workouts.

You might just get me interested in trying it out to see how they compare. Maybe I could even mix them :)

The presentation of the “Turbulence Training” website does, however, look quite a bit like all those “run your car on water”, “100% sure way to win in gambling” etc. seller pages – lots of yay-say interspersed with buy links. The before/after pictures with oiled and tanned on the right also don’t exactly soothe my skepticism. It’s good to have some feedback from a real person here!

talia_tx June 3, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I agree, the sales website for Turbulence Training is pretty annoying, and hard to see through the sales pitch to the actual info available. It was only after digging deeper and finding the author’s blog and video’s he’s posted on vimeo that convinced me it was worth looking into. As those are much less grating on the senses. Though it was Henrik’s blog posting that made me take the time to dig through all the nonsense and flash, otherwise I would have moved on after taking a look at the first page.

Henrik Edberg June 3, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I’m happy to hear that the review made the both of you look further and beyond the skepticism and sales pitch.

And Markus, let us know how that mix works out for you. :)

Sun-shine June 4, 2009 at 3:06 am

Henrik,
I live in Bangalore ,INDIA.
Any ideas on how to get this programme.
Thank You.

Henrik Edberg June 4, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Hi,
all the stuff in the program is downloadable as PDF and Mp3 files soon as you pay. You can pay for the program by using PayPal or one of the common credit cards (Visa etc) or possibly other options on the order page.

Marelisa June 4, 2009 at 3:13 am

Hi Henrik: Congratulations on your weight loss! I’ve lost about twenty pounds since the beginning of March by jogging. Unlike you, I love to jog. My problem is that I also love to eat, but I’ve been successful in cutting down on sweets and eating smaller portions. This program–Turbulence Training–sounds very interesting. And the people in the photographs looks fantastic in their after-photos.

Henrik Edberg June 4, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Thanks! That’s some awesome progress, congratulations to you too.

Yeah, I also love to eat so in the beginning it was sometimes hard to eat the right amount etc. I found using Fitday.com to keep an eye on what/how much I am actually eating to be a very valuable help. Otherwise it was pretty much impossible to know if I had a calorie deficit on a day to day basis.

victor June 8, 2009 at 8:01 am

i am 24 years old. i am very fat, i jog and also do a lot of work outs and even reduced my food in take. but still i continue to be fat..
Let me congratulate you all for your successful achievements..
and may god bless you all.

Zoe June 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Congratulations on sticking to the program and obviously reaping the benefits!!

I noticed the post about ‘thinking it easy’ – I completed a 53km uphill section of a 400km bike trip in India (and countless steps beforehand on the training treadmill) purely by thinking ‘easy, easy, thankyou, thankyou’ to the rhythm of whatever it was I was doing – it totally got me through the difficult parts by allowing me to focus on the positive. Plus, when it gets really hard, you’re literally shouting ‘EASY, EASY, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!’ in your head – which always makes me laugh :)

Amanda July 5, 2009 at 6:33 am

On your recommendation, I’ve bought the TT program. This is the beginning of my third week.

As I’m quite fit already ( I’m not doing it to lose weight), I thought I’d try TT as an experiment for 3 months as an alternative to my usual gym/running routine to see if it will have any noticeable results on someone who’s already fit/defined/and doesn’t need to lose weight.

Although I’m convinced of the usefulness of interval training for cardio, I’m not quite convinced that the weight training is going to be equal to the Body Pump programs I’ve been teaching/participating in for 12 years. I can already notice some loss of strength in my chest presses with doing TT only. I will be putting Body Pump back in to my training twice a week from next week!

Anyway, I just thought I’d let you know that you’d inspired at least one other person to try TT. I will let you know of the results in a few weeks’ time.

maria March 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm

The techniques in turbulence training may help you get fit and work if you use them properly, but the rigorous nature of the workouts may not be good for everyone.

{ 1 trackback }