One big problem for people is that they are inconsistent. Some day go really well. Some days don’t.
So how can you increase the number of positive and effective days? Maybe the best way I have found so far is to make sure you have good and consistent start to your day.
I do this by using a morning ritual.
Why is it helpful to start your day with a specific morning ritual?
Basically, what you do early in the day often sets the context for your day. As humans we have a strong tendency to want to be consistent with what we have done before. That’s one big reason why a bad start often leads to a bad day and a good start often leads to a good day.
My morning ritual
- Get up, drink a glass of water. You get dehydrated when you are asleep.
- Pull the blinds from my windows and open a window to let in the sun and more fresh air.
- Eat breakfast and drink a cup of green tea.
- Brush my teeth and tongue.
- Make my bed.
- Declutter for a few minutes. I wash any remaining dishes from yesterday. I put anything that is out place back into it’s right place. I clean up my workspace so it’s clean and organized.
Basically, I center myself and get into an organized and productive mindset by doing these simple things to order and clean up my environment. It is also a good way to warm up for your day, get out of a procrastinating mindset and it makes it easier to consistently take the next step where I start doing the most important thing right now.
I have also started to use a Paraliminal each day over the last week or so after doing my morning ritual. This helps me to for example strengthen my motivation, to cut down on self-talk significantly for many hours and generally keeps me more focused and effective during the day.
My ritual is very simple but it really improves my consistency on a day to day basis. It lets me slip into the right mindset at the start of each day. I highly recommend coming up with own ritual and using it every morning for 30 days.
My ritual is still under construction and I’m optimizing it.