Note: This is a guest post by Rigdha Acharya of Get Your Success Now.
Becoming successful requires much more than just positive thinking or reading the right books. Success is a collection of habits, thought patterns and most importantly beliefs. Here are 7 ways in which you can accelerate your way to building thoughts, beliefs and habits that can support your success.
1. Take the time to journal
Journaling is a great tool not only for discovering your inner self but also for following up with your ideas. I first used this practice during my first year in university where all engineers were required to keep a log of the new things they learn and the ideas they get. I have since discovered that some of the greatest scientists (and even entrepreneurs) have used this idea of journaling their thoughts to accelerate their path to success. Here are some ways you can start:
- Keep a notepad by your desk at all times so you can jot down the cool business idea your read about.
- Set aside about 5 minutes every night before you go to bed to write down what you came up with that day.
- You can also use journaling for stress relief – simply write about the situation that’s bugging you.
- When you write about your goals every night and the steps you took towards them (however small) you become more in-touch or aware of your goals. This helps you come up with new ideas and creative ways to find opportunities.
2. When you read a book, don’t just read – take notes
Books are definitely an excellent source to find out what success takes but a lot of us can relate to getting an exciting idea in a book and then not acting on it.
Worse yet, when you attend personal development or motivational seminars it is easy to get motivated and feel driven while you are there but life kicks in and sucks the motivation out of you.
That is why I find taking notes so helpful, not only does it help you remember every good idea you were presented with, it can also be used later for a source of motivation and drive.
3. Do something new
Doing nothing is the greatest threat to success. Yet, so many of us spend way too much time worrying about the possible outcomes and trying to make up our mind. Success comes from trying a lot of things even if you fail at some.Â Believe in yourself and do it, it is much better than sitting on your chair and agonizing.
I find women are better at the worrying too much and not doing anything game. In fact, I recently read a study that said women worry 2.5 times as much as men. Use this simple strategy to get rid of that worry:
- Just sit down and make a list of the absolutely worst things that could happen if you do the thing you’ve been thinking about.
- Make another list of the absolutely best things that could happen as a result of doing that particular task.
- Now, what does the in-between scenario look like?
- A lot of times you’ll feel very relieved after doing this exercise. You may realize your worst case scenario wasn’t as bad as you were making it.
4. Assemble a mastermind
Almost all successful people I’ve read about and met have a mastermind – a small group of individuals they can share their ideas with. The mastermind group is not just a cozy group of individuals who offer support, they are the individuals who point out the risks and sometimes take pleasure in disagreeing. Why is this so important? Simply put, it makes us look deeper and make our case stronger.
5. Seek out the toughies!
While most of us try to run away from difficult situations, people who have mastered the art of success seem to seek it. There is a lot to be gained by seeking out the tough situations. If you fail, you will be much closer to your goals.
6. Call up someone you admire and interview them
A lot of people are willing to share their success stories, so if you want to know how it’s done call up someone you admire and ask them.Â It is also a good idea to network and try to tap into their network of contacts. You can also search for various meet up groups to see if you can contact these successful individuals. Another way to get in touch with them is to get involved in their favorite charities.
7. Cultivate Success Habits
As we discussed in the beginning of the article, success is a collection of habits. One of the fastest ways to reach your definition of success is to find what habits are needed to get to that definition. Some habits that work for almost all types of success are:
- A positive belief in your ability – developing your self confidence will take you a long way when discouraging things happen.
- Accept failure and take the lessons from it – I have found that failure is something that will show up, it’s just a matter of time. Most people give up when they sense failure but successful people love to look at failure as a stepping stone that takes them one step closer to their goals.
- Be passionate about your goals – I haven’t met a single successful person who does not believe in his/her goals. Passion is what gives you the drive and motivation needed to work late hours and to keep going when things go wrong.
Rigdha Acharya writes about success skills, time management and habits that lead to success. You can subscribe to her RSS feed by clicking here. If you found this article useful you may also want to read some of her other success articles at the Seven Pillars of Success or you may want to join her Free Time Management Course
If you like this article, please give it a thumb up in Stumbleupon. Thanks a lot! =)
Like what you've read? Then get email updates (it's free)
Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers who receive exclusive happiness and personal development tips every week!
Click here to get started!