Itâ€™s time to go back to school.
Well, if you are still in school that is. After many years of sitting in class I donâ€™t have to worry about homework and exams anymore.
SchoolÂ´s out forever (perhaps).
This Friday I thought Iâ€™d share 5 very simple tips that can save you quite a bit of money when/if you go back to school.
- Buy books online to save money. To save even more, buy used books online. To really save money borrow the books from the library. Going with the third option and going down to the library to get most of the books for my classes saved me a small boatload of money during my years at the University. Be sure to get down there reasonably early during a course though since they often have just a few copies of each book.
- Bring your own home-cooked lunch and drink water. If you eat lunch at the school cafeteria or at a restaurant costs will rack up quickly. Make an extra serving when you cook the previous night or just make a delicious sandwich and bring it to school. Enjoy you meal with a glass of cold water. And when you can, make your own coffee instead of buying a cup at the local coffeehouse.
- Bring a bottle of water to the classes. Then youâ€™ll not have such a craving for sodas during the recesses/lectures/classes. Bonus-benefits of this habit: Youâ€™ll stay well-hydrated and consume less sugar. Just donâ€™t forget to change or wash the bottle once in while to get rid of bacteria etc.
- Ride the bicycle to school. If you have a bike than ride it to school, at least during the months with reasonably nice weather. If everything is within walking distance and you donâ€™t have a bike then use your legs. These two options are a lot cheaper than riding the bus or driving a car. Plus, you get a good amount of cardiovascular exercise. If nothing is within walking or bicycling distance buy a monthly pass for the bus to at least save some money.
- Get free software. Check download.com or do some quick googling to find free and good alternatives to expensive software.
Elsewhere, at some of my favourite blogs various school-related lists have been popping up during the week. Here are three of them:
- Six Tips for Keeping School-Day Mornings Calm and Cheery (The Happiness Project)
- 10 Ways to Keep That Back-to-school “fresh start” Enthusiasm All Semester (Dumb Little Man)
- 7 Strategies to Raise Your GPA This Semester (Pick the Brain)
If you liked this article, please give it a thumb up in Stumbleupon. Thanks!