≡ Menu

How to Improve Your Mood Right Now: 3 Simple Habits

Improve Your Mood Now

I often write about how a good start to your day often leads to having a good day in general.

A social, an energetic or a productive start sets the context for your day.

But on some days you may not get a good start for some reason.

Maybe you slept badly. Or the maybe grey skies and cold spring rain is dragging your energy down.

Or you might have lost that positive momentum during a hard first part of the day and after lunch you feel tired, low or lost in a somewhat sad or uninspired funk.

What to do then? Is that day lost and should you just aim for a better day tomorrow?

Well, today is not over yet.

Maybe you can still make something good out it.

Here’s how I do that by breaking the negative mood and getting a new start.

1. Appreciate what you have.

The simplest of my most commonly used pick-me-ups.

I take about 2 minutes and sit in silence.

I tell myself: OK, I might not feel so good right now, but what can I be grateful for and appreciate in my life?

I usually come up with one simple thing like:

• My tasty food.
  • My health.
  • That I have a roof.

That one thing opens up my mind. It redirects my thoughts from the negativity.

Then I build upon that one thing. I make mental jumps from the roof, to the warmth in our home, to the fluffy cat sitting beside me on the sofa, to that I can work from home as the rain pours outside.

I make those small mental leaps by just moving my attention around in the room I am in. Like skipping from stone to stone over a stream. And I take the time to slowly appreciate all those things.

This changes my mood to a happier, warmer and more open one.

2. Act as you would like to feel.

Emotions work backwards too. So if I want to become more positive or enthusiastic then I act in the manner of a person who is positive or enthusiastic.

I might not feel like it. But I do it as best as I can anyway. I may for example:

• Think of the task I have in front of me as something exciting and fun.
  • Answer some emails or talk to someone in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
  • Assume rapport if I feel unmotivated, negative or nervous before some kind of meeting (assuming rapport is to I think to myself that I am meeting one of my best friends just before the meeting and that puts me in the right mood and headspace).

3. Think for a minute and give someone a genuine compliment.

Here’s a fun one I use quite often and that will not only lift my own mood.

Spend one minute coming up with something you really and genuinely appreciate about someone in your life that is in the same room as you at some point during the day. Then tell him or her the genuine compliment you have come up with.

She or he will be happy. You’ll feel good about yourself and get positive feelings too from the now smiling, happy and complimented person. And so the mood for the both of you is changed for the better.

Image by Camdiluv (license).

If You Enjoyed This Article, Get Email Updates (it’s Free)

Join over 80,000+ awesome subscribers today and get practical happiness tips and personal development advice in your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• fred April 25, 2015, 4:12 am

thanks buddy

• Laurie Stone April 26, 2015, 9:45 pm

I love the one about appreciating what you have. Its easy to forget in our busy lives, but most of us are incredibly blessed and lucky. Sometimes I see my life through fresh eyes and give a thank you.

• Sergiu April 26, 2015, 11:20 pm

Great article. I’m already following step one, I’ve always been grateful for everything that I have. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Stoney Stone April 28, 2015, 12:56 pm

Thank you you are a blessed guy for helping others keep up the great work

• mohamud April 29, 2015, 8:35 am

That is realistic techniques and on my experience proven valid and reliable.

• morgan price April 30, 2015, 12:10 am

This is wonderful! Just because your day starts out bad, doesn’t mean that it has to be bad all day. People take things for granted in life that they would be lost without. Take time to appreciate what you have and others will show that they appreciate you!

• Rachel May 5, 2015, 4:23 am

Hey Henrik, great article. These days I find it hard to sit still. Once I made this commitment to start a blog (which goes next week – I might add), I really don’t get into that mood. Because everything I am doing, I am doing for me. Oh I could be sorry for giving up a job, or not having lots to spend, but I wake up in the morning and I start out with working on things I want to do. The day progresses and I am still doing the things I want to do. And in the afternoon after a twenty to thirty minute guided meditation to rejuvenate, I go back to doing all my work, to progress. Oh I need a holiday and so many other things, but what I don’t do anymore is work for someone else and that has changed my attitude towards my day in degrees I could never have imagined. But I am taking some of your suggested tools and adding them to my (when looking for motivation or inspiration) kit.

• Betty May 6, 2015, 8:18 am

Great contributions you release! Thank you for this!

• Maliha May 11, 2015, 8:16 am

Easier said than done. Heh. I think I need a little more help!

• NEELAM May 13, 2015, 5:08 pm

Thank you…sooooo much for such a WO derful positive things..I follow it seriously

• Lynne May 18, 2015, 5:55 pm

Great tips to a happier day. Thinking positive always cheers me up.

Join over 80,000 subscribers!

Get 2-3 emails/week with free tips and strategies that work in real life to live a happier, self-kinder and less stressful life.