≡ Menu

6 Habits That Will Help You on Days When You Just Feel Like Giving Up

Dont Give Up“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
William Shakespeare

“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
Harriet Beecher Stowe

Some days are light and filled with inspiration. Some days are simply routine.

And on some days you may feel like just giving up on…

• Your new habit of working out or eating healthier.
  • Your own small business or blog because you haven’t had the results you expected or wanted.
  • Truly feeling better about yourself.
  • Dating because you can’t seem to find the right person or maybe even have a good date at all.

Winding up in such situations is a normal part of making positive changes in life. But what you do when you feel like giving up will determine a lot about where your life will go.

In today’s article I’d like to share 6 habits that have helped me to hold on or to change direction on those difficult days.

1. Tap into realistic expectations.

This one has been very important to me.

Tap into realistic expectations not by listening to advertising that promises you quick results. Not by listening to the perfectionism – from the people around you or yourself – that allows no mistakes or failures.

Tap into it by listening to the people who have already gone where you want to go. Listen to the people who know what works and how you will stumble and fail along the way and can tell you how long your journey may take.

You’ll probably not get an exact blueprint. But the things people can tell you in person or via books and blogs can be a great guidance.

2. Remind yourself why you are doing this.

It’s easy to lose the big picture in the busy everyday life. But if you feel like giving up then try reconnecting with why you are doing what you are doing.

Maybe it is to:

• Support and keep your family safe.
  • Live healthier and longer so you get to watch your kids grow up.
  • See the world and explore new things.

Write your answers down.

Then, whenever you feel like giving up pull out that piece of paper with your most powerful why(s). It often helps.

3. Remember: It’s darkest before the dawn.

This thought has helped me to hold on when things have felt very difficult and I felt like giving up and going home. Because I have found it to be true.

When things seemed to be at the lowest point with my blog and business, with my dating life or with my motivation in life in general something always happened.

Probably quite often because being at that low point forced me to change something in how I did things.

But maybe also because life seems to have some kind of balance if I just keep going. If I just keep taking action instead of giving up and doing nothing then something good always happens.

Seeing this repeat itself strengthened my belief in taking action and to keep going even on rough days or weeks. And it brings some comfort even when things look pretty dark.

4. Reconnect with the basics or change the path.

When I have run into a plateau or a longer rough patch these two things have been helpful:

• Simplify and reconnect with the basics. It is easy to become overwhelmed by all the information out there about any change you can make in life. That can lead to confusion and trying to do too many things at once.
    In those situations it has been helpful for me to simplify. To just focus on a few or one of the things I have learned that are the basic fundamentals in this area of life. To improve my social skills those things were for example to keep a positive attitude and to assume rapport.
  • Learn more and course-correct. Reconnecting with the basics often works well. But sometimes it has been helpful to change my course slightly instead.
    To examine how I do things, what results they bring in and to compare it to how people who have gone before me have done things. To be honest with myself and admit that maybe one or two things or small parts of that I am doing are not working so well.
    And to replace those things for a while – based on what others have done in the past – and see if that works better. Even if it means that I have to get out of my comfort zone.

5. Tell yourself: Just for today!

Here’s a little phrase I got from Brian Tracy that I often use when I’m having a bad day with a new habit. I say to myself: Just for today I will XX!

Replace XX with what you will do just for today such as getting exercise, getting going with the most important task first thing in the day or eating a healthy lunch.

By telling myself that I only have to do it today I get two big benefits:

• I release the mental burden of the past times I did it and future times when I will do it. And so the task becomes much lighter and the inner resistance melts away.
  • It also reminds me that the period that I am investing in changing a habit is not the rest of my life. After 30 days or so the habit will mostly be automatic so it is not something I have to do on willpower for the next few years or decades.

And guess what, when tomorrow comes I’ll probably have a good day again with less resistance and I will most likely feel like doing the task again.

6. See if it is time to quit and to try something else.

Sometimes it is not time to give up. But it may be time to quit what you are doing and to try something else.

If you feel like giving up or you are bored a lot, if you feel no real passion or excitement or curiosity about a change or your current path then ask yourself these two questions:

• Am doing this because I truly want it?
  • Or am I doing it because someone told me to or because so many people around me seem to have done it or are working on it?

What you want isn’t easy to know before you get started though. You may need to try different paths before you find one that fits you. And just because everyone around you seem to love running doesn’t mean that you have to love it or that you have to give up on the habit of regular exercise.

Try walking, biking, playing badminton or table tennis instead. Try a new way of doing what you want and see if it is a better fit and more enjoyable for you.

If You Enjoyed This Article, Get Email Updates (it’s Free)

Join over 80,000+ awesome subscribers today and get practical happiness tips and personal development advice in your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Fisherworks February 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Henrik –
    Not sure how many readers you have in P.R.China but I could be one.
    Thanks for the helpful tips anyway.

• Su February 6, 2015, 12:24 pm

Thank you so much for you mail and motivated work.

• Edith Rodriguez February 7, 2015, 6:46 am

These are such great suggestions! The last one stuck with me the most was the last one, “See if it is time to quit and to try something else.” I recently took this year off from teaching after moving states and I have been forced to slow down and figure out what I want next with my life. Though I miss teaching and love it, there’s a part of me that doesn’t want to go back to overworking and being stressed. Now, I have all these goals for my blog and maybe a career change. I feel like life is pushing me to try new things, and though I love it, I’ve also held back a little because of fear. This post reminded to keep going and remember why I am doing it (like point 2). Thank you!

• Angelo Limon February 7, 2015, 12:26 pm

Hey Henrik,

Nice post. I use #2 reminder to remind me why I am doing the things I am doing ( blogger) and my why keeps me going! I also like to say that sometimes confusing activity with achievement can have you going around in circles – maybe that should be a tip also.

Thanks! peace!

• christopher February 9, 2015, 8:45 pm

Thanks Henrik
    Very motivating article, inspirational thinking.. Being able to control ones state on the bad days is key..

• Sky Your Life February 10, 2015, 10:48 pm

Powerful writing, Henrik.
    I agree on your message here, and I think it is essential to never give up and always to visualize the “better tomorrow” if today looks tough. I have some similar writing over at http://www.skyyourlife.com/avenue-towards-self-empowerment/
    If you have some time, I’d appreciate your thoughts about that.

Looking forward to read more here from you

• Julia Kristina Counselling February 10, 2015, 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for this Henrik – I really appreciate what you said about expectations – especially about the bizarre expectation many of us have about needing or HAVING to be perfect.

I wrote a post just last week about this exact thing: The Lies Perfectionism Tries to Get Us To Believe.

Thanks Again,

Julia

• Anonymous February 12, 2015, 3:20 am

The decision to help yourself is the key to feeling better….

• Paige Weatherall February 15, 2015, 6:59 am

I love the truth you have within your articles as well as the positive attitude and hope that is laid within them. I look forward to reading more.

xxox

• Topaz February 21, 2015, 10:46 pm

Love the “just for today” tip. It is so easy to get overwhelmed with long term. But almost anything we can do “just for today”. At my lowest point, I had a yellow sticky that said…

Just breathe. (Something we often forget to do when we begin to panic over what is on our plate. Remembering to breathe is helpful because it slows the reaction of our thoughts and physical reactions to them down to the pace of our breathing.)

One moment at a time. (Even a whole day overwhelmed me. But I did have control over this very moment. And that place in time was manageable.)

This was a wonderful article. There can never be enough encouragement to help others get through the difficult times. There is light on the other side of darkness. -Topaz

• Nate February 23, 2015, 6:27 am

Great post and great timing for me. I coach in professional sports as well as try to blog in the self improvement area as well and the tip to remind yourself of why you do things hit close to home for me. Understanding where the value lies in your actions and words on a daily basis can be the difference in sparking a break through or completely caving. Unfortunately it is much easier to cave and give in, which most people do. The constant reminder definitely helps to see the big picture and put things in proper perspective.

Thanks for the post!

• Tayyaba Aziz March 4, 2015, 9:30 am

This is one of the best Positive blog ever. You are a real inspiration, we need more people like you. I also try to write Positive stuff to motivate people for a fit BODY, MIND and SOUL.
    Check it out:

• Philip March 17, 2015, 1:14 pm

Hello Henrik ,
    Thanks a lot for these inspiring motivating information. you are really impacting my life in a positive way. God bless you.

Want to Make a Real Change in Your Life?

Then join 80,000+ people and sign up for the free Positivity Newsletter. You’ll get 2-3 emails per week on how to:

- Live a Happier and Simpler Life.
- Boost Your Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence.
- Reduce Stress and Get The Most Important Things Done.
- Improve Your Social Skills and Relationships.

Your information will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.