≡ Menu

3 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Get Started with What You Truly Want to Do

“What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
George Eliot

Getting started with doing what you truly want to do in life can be hard.

No matter if what you want is to start exercising, create your own business on the side, write a book, see other parts of the world or something entirely else.

But often we make getting started a lot harder than it needs to be by standing in our own way.

So in today’s article I’d like to share 3 things you need to stop doing to step out of your own way and make it so much easier to actually get started instead of just keep dreaming about it over the summer.

1. Stop making it a huge and vague thing in your mind.

The more you think about whatever you want to get started with the bigger it tends to become in your head. And as you keep thinking about the various ways this could go it tends to become scarier and scarier.

So do this instead:

• Get knowledge from the others who have been where you want to go. To defuse vague fears about what could happen if you got started and about the unclear unknown, get information from people who have already gone where you want to go.
    It is easier than ever to find them today. Look them up online and read what they have written and said or send them an email. Or go ask someone you know in real life that has done what you want to do.
  • Ask yourself: Honestly, what is realistically the worst that could happen? Take a couple of deep breaths to calm down your mind a bit. Then ask yourself this question. You’ll realize that in most cases the worst thing that could realistically happen is not that bad. It may sting for a bit. But it is something you can handle. And it is a situation you can find something to do about if this worst case scenario were to happen.
    The clarity you get from this question can – in my experience – reduce worries quite a bit.

2. Stop trying to control everything.

Being prepared and knowing some things certainly helps.

But it can become a trap when you try to control it all or think things through 50 times to be on the safe side and to not risk making mistakes, fail or look like a fool.

What to do instead:

• Realize: you will stumble and that is OK. It happens to anyone who steps outside of his or her comfort zone. It has happened to everyone you may admire and who have lived a life that is inspiring. It is simply a part of a life well lived. And if you reflect on what you can learn from a mistake then that will be invaluable to help you grow and improve.
  • Learn to set time-limits for small decisions at first. If you have trouble with overthinking then set a time-limit for when you have to make a decision. This might seem a bit scary though. So start small and set a 30-60 second time-limit when trying to decide if you are going to work out or reply to an email. Do that for a while and then move on to slightly bigger decisions. And then even bigger ones after that.

3. Stop thinking that you have to get started in a big and spectacular way.

If you have a big goal or dream or even a medium sized one then it is easy to think that you have to take an action of the same size to get started or to get where you want to go.

That is most often not true though.

What to do instead:

• Go small. Just ask yourself: what is one small step I can take today to get the ball rolling with my goal/dream? Then take just that small action. And tomorrow or later on today you can do the same thing again. If that question still lands you in procrastination then ask yourself: What is one tiny step I can take to get the ball rolling?
  • Single-task each little step. Focus on just the one step you are taking based on the questions above. Nothing else. Otherwise it is easy to get lost in thought, to go off track or to feel uncomfortable or a bit of fear. So keep your attention on just this one action and step forward. And after that, the next one. Let these actions build day after day into something bigger. And before you know it you’ll have gone quite a distance on your journey.

Image by Susanne Nilsson (license).

If You Enjoyed This Article, Get Email Updates (it’s Free)

Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers today and get practical happiness tips and personal development advice in your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Alicia June 14, 2014, 12:19 pm

Loved the article! All your articles really are truly inspirational. In my case, it has helped me a lot to print the articles and to keep them in a folder to read over and over again. I am finding an improvement in my approach to daily leaving. Thank you and God bless!

• Thiago Sanches June 15, 2014, 7:54 am

This post was surgical for my projects. thank you very much!!! :)

• Chas June 15, 2014, 8:32 am

It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~Unattributed saying c. 1881 that likely evolved from Adelaide Anne Procter’s poem containing the line “We always may be what we might have been”; sometimes also quoted as “It is never too late to be who you might have been” and mistakenly attributed to George Eliot.

• Gloria June 16, 2014, 12:46 am

Gloria Law, June 15, 2014
    Thanks Henrik. All your inspirational words helping me a lot and help many other people in this world. Thanks always, now and forever.
    My Twitter: GloriaLaw@GloriaLaw3

• Jocelyn A. Fernandez June 16, 2014, 1:59 pm

Dear Henrik,

Thank you. You have given me idea on how I can start a fruitful life. Your suggestions are attainable and realistic.

• Henrik Edberg June 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

Thank you everyone for sharing your own insights about getting started and for your kind words!

• Nadine June 18, 2014, 7:37 pm

Oh yes! I can really relate to this. I have to think it through, analyse, think again, analyse, start writing, rethink, edit and so on never being satisfied with what I have written so it never gets posted because its never what I envisaged at the beginning.

I keep telling myself “action” not “analysis” but I guess the perfectionist in me won’t let go .

Thank you for your inspirational words. I will start small, not worry about perfection and move ahead day by day.

• Jack June 20, 2014, 7:45 am

3 points but very well cover the lot. Thanks for sharing, now need to get started.

• werena carsetti June 21, 2014, 9:56 pm

That is a truely great article. I have recently written about how to change your life enirely after your own will. I really agree with many points that you bring up here! I will stay following!

• annoynimous June 22, 2014, 5:02 pm

Its truely nice and encouraging,i would also like to know how to control obsessive thoughts about incidents of the past or failures of the past that may effect our future badly even if we trying to do something good at present?It will be a lot of help to me.thanks a lot

• yodi June 23, 2014, 2:13 am

It’s always inspiring to read something like this to start jumpstart my morning. Thanks.

• jessica June 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

Hello,

everybody should live for something and make everything he can for achieve his dreams:)

• James June 25, 2014, 12:56 am

I think starting small with any goal has been a huge improvement in my productivity. BJ Fogg writes about this in his habit change model. Start by making the change so small that you can’t help but do it. I finally started using a daily planner (http://www.apolloplanner.com/) and I was able to make it a habit by starting small. So small I couldn’t say no.

• Daniel McKenna July 3, 2014, 4:56 am

I loved the focus on chunking down, if you’re like me and have huge visions. The biggest roadblock for me was (and still is, to an extent) being able to distill my vision into something that I can do now, something that is so small that I can’t fail.

Something else to ponder though, what about the people who are too caught up in the fine-print? What I mean by this, is what would you guys recommend for somebody who is so caught up in the details that they get paralyzed, and even lack motivation?

• rene July 9, 2014, 1:17 am

You’re an amazing young man. I’m much older but you’re much wiser. I am learning from your wisdom and I’m thankful I went searching for help today and found your site. Thank you so very much.

• Lucas Goossens July 12, 2014, 7:00 pm

You GOTTA catch yourself when thinking negatively, and switch it to POSITIVE thinking :) I realized this and started making jewelry that reminds the wearer maintain healthy brainwaves… a.k.a positive vibes! Yay positivity! It helped me find my life path, and now I try to spread the word to others through beautiful shiny LucasPlus jewels, 3D printed by Shapeways.com

• Edmund July 13, 2014, 3:59 pm

Taking consistent action and learning from my mistakes is another thing that has helped me to stay on track on my goals. Most importantly, don’t procrastinate. Otherwise, you will not achieve your goals even if you want to.

• Kris July 19, 2014, 5:56 pm

Many times we all just get so overwhelmed with information coming at us from all directions that we just stall. We spend so much time searching for answers, waiting for the perfect time, and pretty much become totally overloaded and shut down. At least that’s what I have been guilty of. I’m one of those people who used to think everything had to be perfect and if I couldn’t make it perfect than I wouldn’t even bother. Over the years I’ve learned to just relax, take things in baby steps and just breathe. There’s nothing wrong with planning out your goals and going after them but it’s a process. Baby steps!