How to Bring Inner Peace Into Your Life: 10 Things You Can Start Doing Today

Make Life Simpler this Summer
Image by Sanna R (license).

“The simplification of life is one of the steps to inner peace. A persistent simplification will create an inner and outer well-being that places harmony in one’s life.”
Peace Pilgrim

The daily life can be busy, hectic and sometimes overwhelming.

It may sometimes feel like bringing just a little more inner peace and calmness into your life is a hopeless wish.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. Small and smart changes can bring in both small and over time bigger rewards.

So today I would like to share 10 of my own favorite tips for finding more peace and calmness in everyday life.

1. Set limits. If your life is overfilled with stuff you may need to set some limits. You may need to stop doing some of the least important things, the things that if you are honest really don’t matter that much. Don’t hold yourself to “perfect” standards. And set a limit for how many times you will check inboxes, Facebook, Twitter etc. per day. Checking on stuff all the time creates a lot of stress. And say no if you really don’t have the time.
  2. Find a relaxation technique that works for you. I like belly breathing and working out to release tensions and recharge during the day. What works for you? Long walks, music, yoga, meditation or going for a swim? Find out and do that.
  3. Don’t make mountains out of molehills. This can create a lot of unnecessary stress. When facing what looks like a mountain then ask yourself questions like: Does someone on the planet have it worse than me? Will this matter in 5 years? These questions help you zoom out and realize that in most cases things aren’t really that bad and you can handle them.
  4. Slow down. Your emotions work backwards too. If you slow down while walking, moving your body or talking you can often start to feel less stressed (compared to if you move/talk fast). Slowing down to decrease stress goes for many other things you do in everyday life too like riding your bicycle, driving the car, working at your desk and eating.
  5. Declutter your world, declutter your mind. Just take 5 minutes to declutter your workspace or the room you are in. A decluttered, simplified and ordered space around you brings clarity and order to the mind. So don’t stop at the workspace or the room you are in. Declutter, simplify and organize your home and life too to live in a more relaxing environment.
  6. Use a minimalistic workspace. My work space is just a laptop on a small black desk made out of wood. I use a comfy chair and there is room for my glass of water beside the computer. That’s it. There are no distractions here. Just me, the computer and the water. This brings peace and makes it easier to focus during my working hours.
  7. Accept and let go. Now is now. But if something negative from the past – something someone said, something someone did – is still in your mind then accept and let that feeling and thought in instead of trying to push it away. When it is there, when you accept that it is then it starts to lose power. And while the facts may still be there in your head the negative feelings are much less powerful or gone. At this point, let that thing go like you are throwing out a bag of old clothes. And direct your focus to the present moment and something better instead.
  8. Escape for a while. Read a novel (I like twisty thrillers), watch your favorite TV-show or a movie. It’s simple but it works well to just release pressure and relax.
  9. Solve a problem that is weighing down on you. Don’t procrastinate anymore. Solve your problem and release it and all the underlying stress and tension that it is creating in your life. You probably already know what to do, you are just not doing it yet. But the longer you wait the worse the tension inside becomes. So get up from your chair and get started on doing it now.
  10. Breathe. When stressed, lost in a problem or the past or future in your mind breathe with your belly for two minutes and just focus on the air going in and out. This will calm your body down and bring your mind back into the present moment again.

If you found this article helpful, then please share it with someone else by using the buttons below. Thank you! =)

John Paul Handrigan October 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

These are great tips.

I took your advice and cleaned my desk off right away. Looks good!

Max October 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I like when you say “Find a relaxation technique that works for YOU”.
It’s not because someone said something on a respected blog that it’s particularly true. We need to try, try and try again. I believe that the best knowledge is the one we create ourselves.

Really liked this post. Simple and inspiring.
Thanks

Laura October 12, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for these tips! It can be easy to lose sight of the simple and necessary things we need to do on a daily basis to take care of ourselves sometimes… Little reminders like this are very necessary and full of such good advice!

Vic October 13, 2011 at 1:03 am

Great Advice, Henrik. I particularly like number 7. The more we accept what is happening to us and let go, the more we can heal and move forward. Thank you for the much need reminder.

Neil | Butterfield October 13, 2011 at 11:00 am

Great post! All too often we let small things get to us and everything turns out great anyway!

Akif October 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm

These are great tips.
I took your advice and cleaned my desk off right away. Looks good!

Kian | Awesome Life Coach October 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Great tips, Point 10 is completely new to me. I’ve never tried calming myself down by breathing so I’ll give that a go next time.

Michael October 14, 2011 at 1:51 am

Dear Henrik,

This past month I been dealing with extreme Anxiety. I found your website and Love to come here daily to see what new stuff you have to say!! Your Blog Is helping me Think more positive everyday and Gives me hope that I can get out of this cycle that I am stuck in.

Michael

Ruth October 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

I really love the tip about decluttering. It’s so simple but I KNOW that this works for me, I just need to motivate myself to do it more. I also use breathing as a relaxation technique and know that it really helps.

umrao jaan ada October 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Nice tips again Henrick!
i think this post is best post of this week for me, all the points are encouraging ,especially breathing and the relaxation tip!

Aniee

Justin | Mazzastick October 16, 2011 at 5:00 am

Great post on maintaining our inner peace. I find that when I maintain inner peace that the outside world is much easier to deal with. As above, so below as the saying goes.

Johnny October 16, 2011 at 6:55 am

Henrick,
I’ve been following you for about a week now and I’m really digging your blogs, I’m seriously hyperactive and stress way to much. So far everything I read from you has really helped me open up to new ideas. Keep this stuff rockin! It truley makes a difference.

Justlife October 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

I find ‘slow down’ particularly useful because you tend to live more in the present, taking the time to look around and appreciate the things around you. Learn to enjoy and live in the moment!

marc van der linden October 16, 2011 at 10:19 am

Great tips!

Number 9 jumped out at me. I believe it is a wonderful idea to just fix a moment in the day to inventorise and solve unfixed problem that weigh on you. It can get the energy back stream again!

Thanks for sharing!

Umrao jaan Ada October 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

thanks Henrick! i love this , especially the relaxation !

Nabil Gulamani October 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

On Point 5: decluttering is very helpful. Sometimes we don’t even realize why we are stressed out and it happens because we have a messy environment that takes our energy away…

On point 7: Accepting is the hardest thing to do but as we mature we learn to get better at accepting people and things as they are to create minimum friction mentally and emotionally. A great author that touches on this topic is Scott Peck in a book called The Road Less Traveled.

Thanks for sharing…

Cheers,
Nabil

Denis Wright (@deniswright) October 17, 2011 at 12:31 am

I thought this was going to be platitudinous rubbish, but I was wrong. It’s all good advice!

John Galden October 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm

it’s good advice. Read another article just like this at http://www.soulneeds.com that was super helpful too with some great action steps.

Dori Schwaiger October 19, 2011 at 3:32 am

Your simple ideas have really brought clarity to me. I am going to implement them along with some holistic protocols to help me treat my tinnitus. Thank you. I will share this post and bookmark you as well :)

clair October 19, 2011 at 10:17 am

sometimes this does not help at all

Laura October 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

It’s always good to get a reminder of all these simple things that any of us can do.

Lauren @ Pure Text November 2, 2011 at 5:43 am

Today was extremely tough and these tips made me smile. I needed to reinstill many of these practices, while one or two made me consider a new perspective, which is really appreciated.