How to Free Up Time For Yourself This Summer, in Under 300 Words

Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/notsogoodphotography/ / CC BY 2.0

“A well-spent day brings happy sleep.
Leonardo Da Vinci

A week ago I wrote about how to have a relaxing vacation by doing what you love and by planning to do nothing.

That may sound good. But what if you simply feel like you don’t have time to do that? Try this:

1. What are you really using your time for? It’s very easy to fool yourself and think you are doing “pretty good” when you in actually are not doing really that good. If you want to find out where your time in a normal week is going create a simple time log in a Word-document or something similar. Type down notes about everything you are doing to find the truth. Then cut the least important stuff down to a minimum to be able to have more time to relax.
  2. Realize that you don’t have to do everything you do. And that the sky may not fall if you do/don’t do something. You don’t really have to do anything. Try to look at it as you choosing what to do instead. Of course, there are always consequences. But the point is to take control of your life. Instead of having your world doing the choosing for you. This way of thinking makes it easier to find out what isn’t really that important and eliminate or reduce to free up time.
  3. Show up and just do it. When you have found out what you are actually doing with your time and let go of some of the things you “had to do” then show up and just do the rest. Spend your time working on the just do it habit instead of on procrastinating, over-thinking, hoping someone else will do it or inventing excuses.

If you enjoyed this article, then get email updates (it's free)
Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers today and get practical personal development advice in your inbox.

Parker Lee | howtomingle.com June 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hey Henrik!

How are you doing? Good stuff, I like this style of posting… sort of like, ” snippets of daily tips and affirmations” :)

Cheers!

Henrik Edberg June 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks! I’m just fine, enjoying the warm Swedish summer. :) How are you?

Eduard @ People Skills Decoded June 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm

What are you really using your time for? Now that’s a powerful question. It’s very common to be putting a lot of time and attention in doing well things which do not really matter. That’s what is commonly described as being efficient, but not effective.

Steve June 22, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I find that if I come up with three things I want to do in a day, work or pleasure, and just doing those, that I actually get more done than trying to do everything, and then doing hardly anything!

Taking control of your life is good! Knowing what it is you are taking control of, is even better!

Guru Talks June 22, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Nice one!
I love short articles :)

Javed June 23, 2010 at 12:35 am

I recently found your website and have been following some of the tips since then. It’s a great website. Please keep up the good work.

Great article on freeing up time! However, I’m not sure if I totally agree with #2. If not doing some of the “Have to do”s have consequences, then we really are not in control of our lives. And, if we pretend that those don’t exist, then we’re really living in denial, which may actually backfire when faced with those consequences!

I think, instead, if we prioritize the tasks, perhaps give a numeric value to each and then act accordingly, then we’ll probably have a better result and a better feeling of accomplishment.

Just my two cents!

Susan Liddy June 23, 2010 at 12:58 am

My best vacations are the ones that are loosely planned. When I can wake up in the morning and decide in that moment what I want to create and experience that day.

Actually makes for a great Weekend day too!

:) Susan

Will June 23, 2010 at 3:48 am

I have tried the log method and it really works. I kept notes to really see what I spend my time on and I found that when I have the whole day ahead of me, it’s just a waste of time, but when I have short periods of free time, I’m much more task-oriented.

Roman Soluk June 23, 2010 at 11:24 am

Thanks Henrik, for this post. For me spending a summer was always a problem. Now, it seems better! Thanks for these tips. I will also take them into account.

Joshua Noerr June 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Henrik, I always encourage people who want to increase their productivity to keep a record of how they are spending that time for three days straight. The idea isn’t to figure out how to do more in a day, but to figure out what you are doing that can be eliminated so you can spend time on more important things. Excellent post.

Henrik Edberg June 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Thanks for all the insights, guys! Hope you are having a fine summer. :)

John Sherry June 24, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Spot on Henrik when you say that we don’t feel we have time. Everyone has the same time i.e. 24 hours a day. It just depends how we fill that up and prioritise our time. It’s all down to us and up to us. Let go and get going for summer fun I say. After all, there is no time like the present and no present like time.

kathy Garolsky July 2, 2010 at 6:01 am

Hello

GoodDay, im just browsing the internet and i found you blog, i just want you to know that i really enjoy reading some of your post

thank you for the information you share withn us

-Kathy