≡ Menu

How to Get Rid of Hiccups

Today I’d like to take a break from long articles and just focus on one practical tip you can use right now or whenever you need it.

A few years ago – well, probably 10 years ago by now – I discovered a really good way to get rid of hiccups. It has worked every time I have used it. In the following years I have told family and friends about it and as far as I can remember it has worked as well for them as it has for me.

You need to focus

Here’s what you do. When you have the hiccups just focus your eyes and attention on something in front of you. Maybe it’s a road sign, a painting or some other object. Focus on just that thing. Don’t let anything or anyone else enter your field of focus. Just focus 100% of your attention on that object. Do so for a minute or two and you should have stopped hiccupping.

Why does it work?

My theory, and it’s just a theory, is that hiccups continue because the person having them focuses too much on wanting them to stop. Just like in the case of much of the mind made suffering in our lives it is fed by you focusing on it and giving it more mental energy. If you shift your focus totally away from thinking about it and just stare at that object in front of you then you stop feeding the hiccups with mental energy. And so they vanish.

This explanation may of course be totally wrong. :) But the trick still puts a stop to those annoying hiccups.

What is your best tip for getting rid of the hiccups?

Image by sergis blog (license).

If you enjoyed this article, please share it on Twitter, Facebook and Stumbleupon. Thank you very much! =)

If You Enjoyed This Article, Get Email Updates (it’s Free)

Join over 59,426 awesome subscribers today and get practical happiness tips and personal development advice in your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Breanne July 4, 2009, 12:16 am

Heey, Im breanne and Im 12 years old and this “Method” Worked for me :) Thank god because I had the Hiccups for 3 hours and I could get rid of them! and it only took 1 minute to get Rid of them :)

Thanks

• Leander July 4, 2009, 1:17 am

works great to focus on something Thanks!!!!!!

• qualo July 15, 2009, 1:38 pm

this site has 2 great solutions http://www.bestcurehiccups.com/
    they both mentioned already in slightly different ways- 100% success rate for me and friends

• Michael December 12, 2009, 4:31 am

I read through a few of these cures, but none of them worked for me. I eventually gave up and laid down. After lying down for about 10 minutes i realised i had stopped hiccuping.
    So, if none of these cures work for you, just lie down!

• NW January 15, 2010, 6:41 pm

Wow it worked – i just stared at a word on this page and they were gone in seconds – had them all day before that and tried everything. thanks

• Shan January 23, 2010, 2:57 pm

Holy hell, it worked. Thanks, I had them for half an hour and couldn’t get any work done. Try focusing on a circle, or black and white colours. Amazing.

• Tom February 19, 2010, 12:52 am

amazing — I did a search on this and came across this. Apparently, we discovered the same thing before trying to look it up. Accidentally, we found that by tracing letters very slowly in the air to our 4 month old, he nearly instantly stopped having the hiccups!

• marshal March 11, 2010, 4:10 am

Lick the fluffy tail of a cat to instantly get rid of hiccups

• Nikole May 20, 2010, 3:20 am

What i do is pull my tongue. Hard but not out of your head LOL!!:)))
    Then swallow and voila! Gone Works like a charm. Thanks for all the help on comments but they didn’t work i tried mine gone byby

• Geoffrey Gordon June 22, 2010, 7:49 am

Thanks a million, I Googled the solution this morning, found your blog. Found something to focus on and in it stopped instantly. Amazing…..

• Nick July 30, 2010, 9:12 am

og’s solution – i.e taking a sip of water, holding it in your mouth and then bending down the waist on one leg…while you are concentrating on the balance…just gulp the water in….that has worked for me and whoever I tell it to for past 8 years. And yes, ppl make fun of me when I tell them…but it is a party favorite when ppl are drunk and are hiccuping. They always gawk at me when the trick works 9/10 times!

• Ren August 25, 2010, 4:01 pm

Funny that I found this because what I found that has worked for me is staring at the center of my palm at one spot. The key is to keep focused on one point and to not let your eyes move from that point.

It was so weird the first time that I discovered this method. Works for me everytime.

Want to Make a Real Change in Your Life?

Then join over 59,426 people and sign up for the free Positivity Newsletter. You’ll get 2-3 emails per week on how to:

- Live a Happier and Simpler Life.
- Boost Your Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence.
- Reduce Stress and Get The Most Important Things Done.
- Improve Your Social Skills and Relationships.

Your information will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.