≡ Menu

Afformations: The Key That Unlocks “The Secret” (Part 1 of 2)

Afformations: The Key That Unlocks “The Secret” (Part 1 of 2)
Image by -bast- (license).

This is a guest article by Noah St. John, Author of SecretCodeBook.com.

We all know that an “affirmation” is a statement of something you want to be true in your life. So an example of a traditional “affirmation” might be: “I am rich.”All right, let’s try it. Say to yourself right now, “I am rich.” Did you hear what just happened in your mind? A voice… a voice that said: “Yeah, right!”

The plain truth is that most of us don’t believe our own “affirmations”. Why? Because we’re trying to convince ourselves of something we don’t believe is true.

Now, traditional success teachers realized that you may not believe your “affirmations”. So they told us to repeat our “affirmations” a thousand…er, million…uh, kajillion times until you eventually, um, believe them.

Have you ever said positive “affirmations” (for example, “I am rich, I’m happy, I have enough”)… and then had… Absolutely nothing happen?

Me too. And about a gazillion other people. I was in the shower one morning, thinking about how the human mind is always in the process of asking and seeking the answers to questions.

For example, if I asked you, “Why is the sky blue?” – instantly, your brain would start searching for the answer. So I asked myself, “If the human mind is always asking and searching for the answers to questions, why are we going around making statements we don’t believe? Why don’t we cut out the middleman?”

Then I asked, “What would that look like?” I realized that if we make a statement (“affirmation”) that says, “I am rich” and our brain replies, “Yeah, right!” the question might look something like this: why am I so rich?

Come again?

Why am I so rich?

Try it. Right now, ask yourself, “Why am I so rich?” What’s your brain doing right now? Searching for the answer!

Remember Universal Law – “As you sow, so shall you reap”. Most people are unconsciously asking lousy questions, like: “Why am I such a loser? Why can’t I do anything right? How come I’m so lonely?

Why don’t I have enough money?” Guess what they reap? The fruits of what they’ve sown! And that’s how, on that fateful morning, I discovered and named the process of using afformations. Afformations are my discovery of empowering questions (NOT “affirmations”) that cause your mind to focus on what you really want, and stop focusing on what you don’t want.

Here are some examples of Afformations that my students have used with amazing results:

Why am I allowed to be, do and have all that I want in life?

Brandon, an insurance salesman in Salt Lake City who’d spent $30,000 on self-help programs with few results, started using this Afformation in May. In 30 days, his sales tripled – and by the end of the year, his revenues had increased more than 560% and he was named Agent of the Year.

Why do I lose weight so easily?

Monee had tried every diet program out there, but couldn’t lose weight. She began using this Afformation – and lost 20 pounds in 60 days without stress or dieting.

And one of my favorite Afformation stories…

Why am I so enchanting?

7-year-old Adrienne from Alabama came home crying to her mother, Joan, sobbing, “Why does everyone hate me?” Joan, who had read my books, told Adrienne, “Honey, you’re asking the wrong question!” She explained Afformations to her daughter, who started afforming, “Why am I so enchanting?”

Adrienne would repeat her Afformation over and over, out loud. Then one day, she came home from school with a picture one of her classmates had drawn – it was a heart with two little girls holding hands that read, “I’m so glad we’re friends!” When I asked Joan how long it had taken for Adrienne’s transformation to take place, she told me – less than one week!

Afformations are an incredibly powerful method I’ve taught people since 1997 to change your questions and change your life. In Part Two of this series, I’ll show you the simple 4-step Afformations Method to manifest anything you really want twice as fast with half the effort. So check back tomorrow for that one.

Noah St. John, Ph.D. is Founder of www.SuccessClinic.com and inventor of Afformations. He’s also the author of the new book The Secret Code of Success: 7 Hidden Steps to More Wealth and Happiness (Collins). You can get the first three chapters of Noah’s Secret Code Book (free) and connect with other Secret Code readers at http://www.SecretCodeBook.com. For a 60-Second Afformation Stress Buster (free), go to http://www.iAfform.com

If you enjoyed this article, please share it on Stumbleupon or vote for it on Digg. Thanks a lot! =)

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Nicolai - Happiness Cafe January 26, 2009, 6:11 pm

Interesting concept, Afformations rather than affirmations. Well your afformations make sense to me, so I will be around to check the next article.

Thanks for this new insight :-)

• Jonathan January 26, 2009, 8:20 pm

The logic I had heard before was make all your affirmations positive. The ask a positive question affirmation is brilliant!

• Tammie @ Are You For Real? January 26, 2009, 9:08 pm

A VERY good point! My mind is already reeling with healthy questions and leading me to an excitement about finding the answers. Thank you for sharing this insight.

• Andy January 26, 2009, 11:03 pm

I never thought of that. Good stuff

• Lynda January 27, 2009, 1:15 am

Dear Henrik:
    I just want to thank you for all of the interesting articles that you post. I’ve learned a lot from your website and love reading the different articles everyday!!

Happy New Year to you and keep up the great work!

Regards,
    Lynda Matos
    Palmdale, CA

(P.S. I never believe my affirmations either!!)

• Jessica January 27, 2009, 1:47 am

That is fantastic! As a clinical-psychologist-in-training, I wonder if this method has been studied as an addition to therapy. Perhaps it would work very well and would have a measurable effect. It seems it would fit in well with addressing self-talk in cognitive behavioral therapy. Interesting.

• Jaclyn January 27, 2009, 6:13 am

I’m going to try this out. Thanks for this!!

• LifeMadeGreat - Juliet January 27, 2009, 12:26 pm

Hi

Great concept.

I am very much in favour of affirmations and use them widely. Even just general positive thinking has a huge impact on life. I have been involved in the development of a free application (AffirmationFlow) for the use of affirmations. You can see on my website if interested.

I’ve used methods such as including the word “allowing” or something like “becoming” in my affirmations so that they are more believable to me. Another thing is to take a small step at a time – so, not “rich”, but x amount more money a month.

Thank you for the additional idea.

Juliet

• Srini January 27, 2009, 7:01 pm

Tony Robbins talks about this in Personal Power 2. He calls it “morning power questions.” So as opposed to just one, you ask yourself 5 questions, and he recommends doing it first thing in the morning when you wake up because that is when your mind is most clear. You have to commit to doing it for 30 days, but what’s interesting is that then your mind makes an association between you being awake and that state. Pretty cool :). Basically you get what you focus on.

p.s. Great Blog :)

• Dan Massicotte January 27, 2009, 8:37 pm

Great article! Very good point. If you don’t stop to ask why, chances are you’ll interpret affirmations as being vain and pointless and stop saying them.

• Amberla January 27, 2009, 9:13 pm

Why are you so awesome?? ;) This is great. Thanks for posting!!!

• Sean January 29, 2009, 4:17 am

This makes so much sense! As an intellectual, my mind has a hard time accepting affirmations… but these “afformations” are perfect for me!

• Anonymous February 2, 2009, 7:40 am

A 7 year old knows what enchanting means? Hmmm.

• Anthony July 14, 2009, 9:16 pm

Great advice,
    I started using afformations the other night to figure out how I could earn a living while making a positive contribution to the world. (I was blacklisted for not going along with freud at a company. I almost ended up on the streets) I didnt sleep a wink that night, my mind was buzzing with ideas.

Now I have a shop and the gaol of selling ten thousand t-shirts to get a home of my own.

Afformations should be taught to everyone.

• Alexa Ruiz August 18, 2009, 5:54 am

Hey this is WOW.
    I began to used A few days ago, and works grate for me!

MUCHAS GRACIAS

POR QUE HAY TANTA GENTE COMO TU BRINDANDO TANTA LUZ AL MUNDO?

• Richard November 21, 2009, 2:36 pm

Why is my comment so read? :D

• Andrew Peacock November 24, 2009, 11:39 am

Great article on one of my favourite personal development topics. Love the use of “enchanting” – such an underused word. I’ll make a vow to use that more often.

Regards,
    Andy

• Divya Singh April 22, 2010, 12:47 pm

Rocking concept……..even before givig it a shot I am 100% postive about it that it will work

• Natasha June 20, 2010, 6:51 am

I am very excited about formulating my afformations! I was wondering if they must be “why” questions, or if “how” questions would work too.

• Ian July 14, 2010, 5:31 am

I just listened to Noah St Johns Audibook “The great Little Book of Afformations” last week and really enjoyed it. I have started using Afformations just this week and already I have noticed a difference. I would recommend the book and Noah’s ideas to anyone who found this post interesting.